Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Training for Training

I’ve got spring fever already and winter isn’t even here yet. I don’t think that bodes well for hibernation season. I am already daydreaming ahead to our annual Memorial Day weeklong trip to Colorado, our trip (TBD) in July and the potential of a September marathon back in Colorado. But what looms directly ahead of me is a good four of five months of cold weather activities.
The root of my spring fever is most likely the unseasonably warm weather we have been having. I am getting used to these 75 degree days and sunshine-filled weekends. The radio weatherman keeps reminding us every morning that it is about 15 or 20 degrees warmer than average for this time of year. But I’m in denial. When seasonal weather returns in the next few days, I am in for a rude awakening.
It’s not just that I don’t like the cold (although that’s a big part of it) it’s that the daylight is in demand and there are no goals right in front of me, no races to train for in the immediate future, that will compel me to work out every day like I have been. I am going to have to rely on self discipline. Eek.
I began this whole life change almost a year ago. I had major surgery last September and had reached a point in my life when I was carrying my heaviest weight and was so badly out of shape that I just felt miserable. It was several years of compounded fatigue and lack of motivation. The successful surgery gave me a new lease on life. As soon as I recovered and had doctor’s orders that I could work out, I hit the gym. And I never stopped. I started working out 5 or 6 days a week and haven’t slowed down since. I also completely changed my eating habits (another blog for another day) and lost 40 pounds and a year later I’m in the best shape of my life.
Now we are approaching the time of year when I used to go into hibernation until the spring, but that’s not me anymore. I am now compelled by a greater motivation than swim suit season. But what is difficult is that I am facing the prospect of dragging myself to the gym every night in the dark for four months like I did last year. It’s slightly overwhelming. I have become so accustomed to “training” for something. But with my next race not until the half marathon in March, I need to focus on rebuilding my foundation of fitness and try not to over train myself in advance of a tough year of challenges ahead. I am just so used to adding an extra mile to my run every Sunday or an extra five miles to my ride every weekend that I have a problem with the concept of maintenance.
So I have decided to change my mindset as I approach the winter “off season.” I am going to look at the next few months as training to get ready for my training. I will start my half marathon prep in February. So in November, December and January I plan to focus on training my body for the tough year of training I have planned. If I approach it that way, I may just be able to sell it to myself. And I am also going to do what I can to diversify my activities as much as possible so I don’t burn out on the gym and I get as much outside time as possible.
Here is my plan right now.
Mondays: I’m signing up for a yoga class. I am really excited about it. I’ll report back on it next week.
Tuesdays: A short 3-5 mile run outside or (gulp) treadmill and weight training.
Wednesdays: A medium 5-7 mile run outside (if possible) or cardio workout at the gym.
Thursdays: A short 3-5 mile run outside or on treadmill and weight training.
Fridays: Off
Saturdays: Morning spin class at the gym or a ride outside if it is nice out.
Sundays: Long run outside (average 10 miles) if weather cooperates. Otherwise, sigh, gym.
On top of all of that, I think I may do a 20-minute circuit training video every morning. But I am NOT a morning person…so I will let you know if that ever pans out.
That is how I plan to train for training. Come February, I will focus specifically on besting myself at the March DC National Half Marathon. And after that, it will be time to focus on cycling for a few months as I gear up for some spring rides I want to conquer in Colorado.
I am interested to hear how you get through the winter months. Do you stay at a high level and compete, or do you take things more slowly and work on building your foundation for next year? Do you have tips on how to avoid spring fever and keep things fresh? I’d love to hear them and share with my readers. Have a great day out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment