Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Running in the Dark



Last night I finally realized that it no longer matters how early I can get out of work, it’s now the season of running in the dark. Sunshine runs will have to wait for the weekends. That’s okay; it’s the cold I mind, not the lack of light. And the cold is still holding at bay. It just means that I will have to change my habits a little bit. My routes, my clothes, what I carry with me. I may even have to breakdown and buy a shiny reflective something to wear.

There is something exhilarating though about running in the dark and not being able to see everything around you. The same thing happens to me when I run in the rain. I feel a sense of urgency to run faster. I also become more introspective and I focus on my running form instead of all of the people around me. It’s therapeutic.

Last night as I was running in the dark along the reflecting pool on the National Mall I fell deep into thought and the short 4-mile run just flew by. I ended up coming up with at least five or six blog topics (so you can rest assured that I will be around for at least a week.) And I realized that just like I couldn’t see where I was going on the path, I don’t have a clear sense yet of where this blog is going to take me. I’m not an expert on running or cycling, so I’m not going to give you tips on being a better or faster athlete. I’m not a weight loss guru, so I won’t set you up on a fool-proof diet plan. And I’m certainly not a life expert, although I have experienced a few things that have provided a different perspective than a typical 31-year-old woman.

I will discuss how I’m finding my way through my new love for endurance sport and share some things that I learn through training. And if all goes well, I’ll be taking you up a few mountains on two wheels and across the finish line of a marathon. I’m hoping that you give me the motivation to train through these dark, cold winter months and that in return, I share some entertaining thoughts along the way. I may not be able to see exactly where I’m going, but I do feel that same sense of exhilaration as when I dig in and run down the dark road.

For those of you who find it difficult to get out and run as the days are getting shorter – in the morning or at night. Here are a few reasons why it’s still worth it to get out there in the dark:

1.      It forces you to find new routes: For safety reasons, especially at night, you shouldn’t run the same route over and over again. And you need to find routes that are well-lit and well-traveled. This provides a good excuse to explore new places and find new routes for your repertoire.

2.      A good excuse to buy new running clothes: Have you ever looked at your workout closet and realized that most of your running outfits are black? I have. But that’s okay, I love having a reason to go to athletic clothing stores to buy bright things. And now I have to.

3.      Find a new running buddy: It’s a good idea to run with a friend when it’s dark, and a good opportunity to find a new running buddy to train with.

4.      Time with yourself: When it’s dark and there aren’t a lot of distractions out there, you tend to become more introspective when you run. It’s a great time to come up with the idea for the next great American novel (or blog?) and also concentrate on your running form.

5.      Motivation to sign up for a race: I don’t know about you, but I’m a goal oriented person. The best way to get me through the dark, cold running months is to have a race to train for. I’m already scouring the Web to find my next race. I’m thinking of the half marathon in DC in March – but I think I’ll need something on the calendar sooner. Any ideas?

See, running in the dark isn’t that bad after all. I hope to see you as a follower on here or outside on the roads!

2 comments:

  1. Nicole - LOVE this blog and love this post. Running in the dark = story of my life. My golden and I are out there every morning in what seems like the dead of night ... stars, a full, high moon, the works. It's still the best part of my day, though...by far! Hope you are well XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate. And you made me think of another good point. You get out there to see the sunrise, and I get out to see the sunset (sometimes) another thing to put on the list about why running in the dark can be so great. Hope you're doing well too! :)

    ReplyDelete