Friday, October 22, 2010

Born to Endure

Some people are born to run or born to ride. I am not a natural athlete. Like most people, I have to work hard at it. I’m not built like a runner or a cyclist. I don’t have lungs with incredible capacity. I don’t have hamstrings to write home about. What I do have is stubbornness. And a personality that is prone to addiction.

I am lucky that both my parents were athletic. My mom was an all-star athlete in school. At all of 5ft-nothing she was captain of her cheerleading squad, point guard on her basketball team and the girl to beat in field hockey. She wasn’t built like an athlete either, but she was smart and fast and all the other kids liked her. Later in life, she didn’t have time to work out. But she took me skiing and instilled in me a love of the outdoors by taking me on hikes. And she would go through phases at an athletic club a few days a week over the years. But really, I think she stayed in shape by always being stressed out, on the go, not eating right and climbing up and down the stairs of her office in 2-inch heels. She was a single mom and a professional working woman – burning calories just came with the job.

My father was definitely at athlete. Although, rumor has it he was a scrawny teenager when he met my mom. But then 30 years in the Marine Corps turned him into a bulky, running machine. When I visited him over the years at his various posts he was always in great shape and heading out for a run. We even bonded occasionally when I went through running phases in high school and college.

So I came from parents who had a history of athletics. But growing up, my mom never put me in any team sports (except for a one-year attempt at basketball in 6th grade) and didn’t push me to be athletic. I never thought that sports would be my thing, until I tried running track in high school. Then I was hooked. I loved running. And I was pretty good at it too. I mean, I wasn’t winning races. But I developed quickly and the coach seemed to think I had potential. He once told me that my calves and hamstrings were built for running. I never believed him, but maybe he was on to something.

I loved running, not because it was easy or came naturally to me, but because it was a constant challenge. A physical and intellectual challenge. It takes a lot of discipline to spend that much time alone with your own thoughts. As you push yourself harder and further, it’s a mind game. What will break first, my train of thought or my running form? For me it’s better when there are hills or heat or rain. I want to go out and suffer and sweat and face my thoughts of the day head on.  

It’s not easy for me to train for a half marathon. And it’s going to be next to impossible for me to train for a full marathon next year. But I am going to love the challenge. And the thought of possibly not succeeding is what is going to drive me across that finish line. I had a conversation with a colleague on the way out of work today. He has finished five or six marathons. He said, for him the first one was difficult to train for. But after the first, the training didn't daunt him anymore. I'm not sure if I will ever get to that place with running. Even if I end up running several marathons, I don't think it will ever get easier. But it might just compel me to search for a greater challenge.

The same thing goes for my cycling. I’m not a natural, but I love being out in the middle of nowhere on a bike. Throw me climbs and scorching sun, and I will carry on. My century ride is not going to come without pain, but it’s going to be so awesome to clock those miles.

I may not have been born to ride or born to run. But time and experience is teaching me that I’m born to endure. Whatever gets me across that line.

What gets you across the line? Are you a natural athlete? Are you pushing yourself because you have personal goals like beating times or losing weight? Are you an adrenaline junkie? Or are you just always looking for the next great challenge?

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, I just love this, and I identify with it. I have active parents - they are slowing down in their 80's, but my dad is still a monster on skis. But I didn't come by any of it naturally, and didn't learn my love of running until my 40's. You sound like you will crush that 1/2 - and full - marathon!
    Nice to meet you through #bikeschool!

    ReplyDelete