Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Different Kind of Bucket List

Most people’s bucket lists are things to do before you kick it. I have a different kind of bucket list. At 31 years old, I have a list of things to do before we have our first child. All those things that people say they want to do before they have children but never do, I’m actually checking off my list. And a strange thing is happening. Instead of feeling sated by these pursuits, the more I do them, the more I want to do more and my list keeps growing. I’m happier with myself than I’ve ever been and, for now, I want to keep it this way.
Last year I did a lot of things that, at the time, felt like they might be last hoorahs for us. Cycling massive climbs in Colorado, including the Vail Pass and Lefthand Canyon outside of Boulder. Running two half marathons. And our 20-day trip around France following the Tour de France on our bikes, cycling up mountains in the Alps and the Pyrenees. I was actually able to cross “cycle to the top of Tourmalet” off my list. And now that I’ve done those things, am I ready to settle? No. My appetite has just been wetted for more. I’ve never been so fit and determined in my life. So, for the time being I plan to continue with the endurance sports and keep adding things to my bucket list. Maybe one day it will feel complete. But for now, this is what I want.
Here are the next things I plan to check off the list…
·         The DC National Half Marathon in March.
·         Dave is going to ride the Iron Horse Race in Durango, CO, Memorial Day Weekend.
·         I want to conquer the 80-mile Leadville Loop ride in CO in June that goes through the highest town in the United States.
·         My first century (100-mile ride) at the Philadelphia Livestrong Challenge in August.
·         My first full marathon in Boulder, CO in September.
·         Hike at least one 14er (a mountain in Colorado over 14,000 ft).
·         And tucked away in July is another trip that we’re already planning that I will share publically as it comes together.
This is my 2011 bucket list. (There’s not enough room to type my lifetime bucket list). What I don’t know yet is if this will fulfill me or only give me an appetite for more. Only time will tell. I will let you know a year from now.
What kinds of bucket lists do you have and what’s on them? I’d love to hear the things that you want to check off some day. Why not next year?

Me at the top of Tourmalet last July. I trained all summer to cross this off my list. Reaching the top was one of the highlights of my life. Is there something on your list that you've always wanted to check off?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole. Really liking your blog. I already have kids but have a bucket list, too. In fact some of my adventures on the list involve my 6 year old. It's a work in progress.

    Here's a few for 2011: Austin Marathon, at least one 100 mile gravel road race, start a fun business where work really isn't, North Face ultramarathon, be able to ride a wheelie longer than @egggman & @lovingthebike!

    ReplyDelete